Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The Krauses and Perge

Yesterday I walked to the Cultural Center to meet Andrew and the Krause family for a day trip to the ancient city of Perge.

I met the Krauses at camp, Julie was assigned to run the super sports elective with Crystal and I. The mother of 5 boys between the ages of 9 and 12, (two are adopted from Russia) Julie knew how to command the attention and respect of even the most uncooperative and stubborn campers. I, on the other hand, came into camp with the same affinity for children as I had for rabid ferrets. Thus Julie was a constant source of guidance and inspiration for me. Over the two weeks she taught me how to be a parent and by the last few days I could get 20 unruly elementary schoolers organized for some rousing capture the flag without too much trouble.

The Krauses are in Turkey because John, an officer in the Airforce, has been stationed in Ankara for the past two years. After Camp, the family planned a trip up to Perge and invited Andrew and I to come along. So on a warm Teusday morning the 9 of us piled into the minivan for the 30 minute drive to the ruins. Perge is home to some of the most well preserved and undisturbed ruins I have yet seen in Turkey. The 8-10 other tourists at the site dispursed quickly leaving us alone with the impressive structures. (Save the elderly Turkish women who divided thier time between herding sheep between the stones and selling trinkets to the occasional tourist.) The baths and the Arcade were particularly impressive, I even managed to crawl under the floor in the caldarium from which the steam would have heated the room. The Arcade concludes with a huge ruined fountain (see picture).

The day was intensely hot and JP, the youngest of the Krause clan who had broken his wrist at camp and began the morning throwing up in the plants outside the hotel began to fade. Soon Dad was carrying him on his back and Julie was encouraging the rest of the boys up the large hill on the outside of the city. The whole experience was very rewarding It was nice to be part of a family again if just for a day. The Krauses work closely with the American Embassy in Ankara and they offered to put me in contact with a few people there. I am hoping to stop by Ankara for a few days and visit the family and the embassy before I fly home.

After that exciting morning with the Krauses and Andrew I attended some English lessons at a Turkish hookah bar in Antalya (We just drank tea). I am playing lots of Tavala aka Backgammon with Turks. My Turkish is improving daily and I am planning a trip to the plaj (beach) tomorrow with a few Turkish guys from the center.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Michael, Sounds like quite an adventure! Thanks for sharing it. Most of us will never get to Turkey or wander the world like you are doing. Take care and be safe. Randy & Sharon

    ReplyDelete