Thursday, September 10, 2009

ITS HERE


The suspense was awful. A few days ago our neighbors decided to have a tree removed and the sound of large mail-truck-sounding vehicles in front of my house all day was enough to drive me mad. The suspense was partially broken last Thursday when I got an e-mail telling me that I had been accepted and that my package was coming. The e-mail, however, contained no information about where I would be going or when. All the important stuff was in the elusive FedEx envelope.
It arrived on Tuesday. It would have been here on Monday but it was Labor Day and while all of you were out eating hotdogs and enjoying the weather, I was wishing the day would end so normal mail service could resume. I had just returned from my first 7 hours working at the local Habitat for Humanity house. I was contemplating what I would do if yet another day went by without any news when the big white truck came bumbling down the street. I met the FedEx guy half way up the lawn. It was all I could do not to give him a hug. Instead I awkwardly exclaimed, “You have no idea how long I have been waiting for you!” Laughing, he told me he had noticed the envelope was from the Peace Corps and asked me where I was going. “I am about to find out!” I interjected. Sensing the suspense, the FedEx guy waited with me as I tore open the package and shouted “I am going to NIGER!”
When you Google Niger (pronounced “knee-j’air”) the first thing that comes up says “Niger is one of the poorest and least developed countries in the world, with over 80% of its territory covered by the Sahara desert.” I am going to have my work cut out for me. One of my favorite teachers at Holland Christian spent a year in Niger at one of the schools there so I am looking forward to lunch date with her to discuss what it is like on the ground. The Wikipedia site, which I encourage you to browse through, lists six national languages and 90% of the country is Muslim. The largest city and capital is Niamey, a city of only 1 million people that contains no credit card machines. My over 200 pages of introductory material told me to familiarize myself with the cultivation of peanuts, highland rice, sorghum, and cowpeas before my departure on October 17th.
For the past 24 hours I have been rushing to fill out registration forms, passport and visa applications, medical releases, and reading through manuals. It is amazing how one envelope from Washington can complete change my life. The next 27 months of my life. Communication in Niger is not easy, but I am sure I will find a way to keep this blog updated.

1 comment:

  1. So happy for you that the wait is over. What a brave and wonderful thing you are undertaking. We are so proud of you and look forward to watching take on this big challenge. Love you Al and Judy

    ReplyDelete