Monday, March 1, 2010

Fleas and Food


Picture is of how laundry gets done here

I apologize for the short post this week, I had to write a monthly report to Peace Corps about what I have been doing here. If you would like to see a copy of it, send me or preferably the blog administrator (my mother) and e-mail and we can forward you a copy.

Well I've been here a month now, in sometimes it feels like it has been a few days, other times like I have been here a year already. I started to get into a routine that keeps me going. The first couple days in my house were, in retrospect, a little crazy. I had no furniture, little to do, and no idea how to take care of myself. Food was the main obstacle. For the first few days I biked into town and ate soup at a local hotely because my gas wasn't connected yet. Once that got taken care of I realized that my abilities in the kitchen were limited to say the least. For two weeks I at one of three dishes:

Mike's Menu

Pasta
Pasta noodles
one small tomato diced
one small onion diced
garlic clove diced
Thai hot sauce

Veggies
Half a zuccini
two tomatoes
hot pepper
some strange veggie I cant identify
carrot
onion
Chop everything up and cook in oil until it looks edible

Eggs and bread
2 eggs
bread
salt

breakfast everyday:
4 bananas

And I actually thought for a few days that I could get by on just that for two years. Eventually I caved and like any good American I subcontracted out the labor. Now I eat dinner each night with Rodrigue's family. Its a great deal because I get rice and something nutritious each night and I can work on my Malagasy with his wife and two young children. That is as long as you don't mind a few rocks in the rice and having peppered pig-intestines on Fridays.

Miss you all

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment